This section includes tools and resources for county human services agencies relating to immigration, health care and public benefits under current law. County humans service agencies are fielding many calls from clients and the community regarding immigrants’ eligibility for health and other public benefits since the new federal Administration took office.
State and federal laws are still in effect that entitle clients to health care coverage and assistance that they are eligible to receive. CWDA and county human services agencies understand there is increased uncertainty and anxiety about information around health care and other public assistance programs that has been in the news and elsewhere. However, our hope is to help clients continue to receive the health care and other assistance families and individuals are eligible to receive today and need now under current law.
CWDA continues to work closely with our state and federal partners, including the National Immigration Law Center, Western Center on Law & Poverty, National Health Law Program, Families USA and others to ensure we share the latest information.
Resources for Counties
- Healthcare for Immigrant Communities and the New Administration – Slides from webinar hosted March 8, 2017 by Asian & Pacific Islander American Health Forum, National Immigration Law Center and Center on Budget & Policy Priorities
- Federal guidance on public charge: When is it safe to use public benefits? National Immigration Law Center
- Q&A: Sponsored Immigrants & Benefits
– U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement – This letter outlines the federal government’s current policy with regard to use of immigration information collected as part of Medi-Cal eligibility process.
Resources for Clients
- Know Your Rights - Is It Safe to Apply for Health Insurance or Seek Health Care? National Immigration Law Center
- Immigration Advocates Network Directory of free or low-cost nonprofit immigration legal services providers in California. You can search via a map view and/or filter options by types of services.
- National Immigration Project Directory includes immigration attorneys, criminal defense attorneys, and other attorneys in California who manage immigration issues as they intersect with their main area of practice.