The House Ways and Means Committee announced on May 9 that they will mark up six bills related to the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program on May 11. And, the House Agriculture Committee plans on holding yet another hearing on the future of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) later this week, with a focus on food retailers.
While there will not be any policy changes to SNAP this year, Republicans are using the hearings for possible legislation in 2017. And, Congress will focus on working on as many FY 2017 spending bills as possible before they recess in mid-July for the party conventions and the summer recess.
Other updates in the CWDA May Federal Update include information on:
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families Markup
- Improving Employment Outcomes of TANF Recipients Act ((H.R. 2952; Boustany (R-LA))
- TANF Accountability and Integrity Improvement Act ((H.R. 2959; Noem (R-SD))
- Reducing Poverty through Employment Act ((H.R. 2966; Smith (R-MO))
- Accelerating Individuals into the Workforce Act ((H.R. 2990; Dold (R-IL))
- What Works to Move Welfare Recipients into Jobs Act ((H.R. 5169; Buchanan (R-FL))
- Social Impact Partnerships to Pay for Results Act ((H.R. 5170; Young (R-IN))
- Budget & Appropriations Update
- Older Americans Act Signed into Law