This section includes tools and resources for county human services agencies relating to immigration, health care and public benefits under current law. County humans service agencies are fielding many calls from clients and the community regarding immigrants’ eligibility for health and other public benefits given the proposed and current Trump Administration policies.
State and federal laws are still in effect that entitle clients to health care coverage and assistance that they are eligible to receive. CWDA and county human services agencies understand there is increased uncertainty and anxiety about information around health care and other public assistance programs that has been in the news and elsewhere. However, our hope is to help clients continue to receive the health care and other assistance families and individuals are eligible to receive today and need now under current law.
CWDA continues to work closely with our state and federal partners, including the National Immigration Law Center, Western Center on Law & Poverty, National Health Law Program, Families USA and others to ensure we share the latest information.
Resources for Counties – Developed by County Human Service Agencies
- Watch: CWDA Immigration Webinar – June 8, 2018
- – June 8, 2018
- – May 1, 2018
- – March 8, 2017
- Post-Election Frequently Asked Questions – Developed by San Francisco Human Services Agency
- – Developed by San Francisco Human Services Agency
Resources for Counties – Developed by Partner Organizations
- Federal Guidance on Public Charge: When is it safe to use public benefits? - National Immigration Law Center
- Access to Public Programs for Immigrant families under the Trump Administration: Things to Keep in Mind When Talking to Immigrant Families – National Immigration Law Center
- Public Charge Q&A (multiple translations) – Health Consumer Alliance
- Q&A: Sponsored Immigrants & Benefits - National Immigration Law Center
- Public Charge and Proposed Changes Fact Sheet – CLASP & National Immigration Law Center (Spanish translation)
Immigration Toolkit - Everybody Belongs Here – Items include:
Protocols for ICE visits
Current laws and policies for providers
Messaging for patients
Resources for Clients
- Fact Sheet: Is It Safe to Use Medi-Cal (multiple translations) – Health Consumer Alliance
- Know Your Rights - Is It Safe to Apply for Health Insurance or Seek Health Care? National Immigration Law Center
- DACA Recipients and Medi-Cal: Frequently Asked Questions – California Department of Health Care Services
- – California Endowment
- Family Preparedness Plan (multiple translations) – Immigrant Legal Resources Center
- WATCH: Video About Public Charge and Proposed Changes – National Immigrant Law Center & California Endowment
- – California Department of Social Services
- Immigration Advocates Network Directory of free or low-cost nonprofit immigration legal services providers in California. You can search via a map view and/or filter options by types of services.
- National Immigration Project Directory includes immigration attorneys, criminal defense attorneys, and other attorneys in California who manage immigration issues as they intersect with their main area of practice.