2016-17: Expand the CalWORKS Housing Support Program
The final 206-17 budget agreement includes an additional $12 million General Fund for the Housing Support Program, bringing total funding for the program to $47 million GF. This augmentation will go a long way toward enabling current HSP counties to reach full capacity and to allow interested counties not currently participating to enter the program.
Homelessness among families has skyrocketed in the midst and since the Great Recession. Despite a recovering economy, many families cannot afford safe, stable housing. Without a permanent home, parents’ ability to go to work or find a job is undermined, children cannot focus at school and fall deeper into poverty.
Coalition of Supporters
- Father & Kids Gets Another Chance at Life Together Thanks to Butte County HSP – In less than a year, formerly incarcerated man gains custody of kids, finds employment and a safe home
- Agency and Landord Work Together to Find Orange County Family a Permanent Home – Homeless just before Christmas due to overcrowding in their small room, family turns to HSP for help
- Team of People Finds Family a Home – HSP in Placer County
- Lifeline to a Secure Future – Santa Clara County Mother & Daughter Find Safety Thanks to CalWORKs HSP
- 23 Formerly Homeless Families Moved into Permanent Housing in Humboldt County - April 26, 2016
- Senate and Assembly Look to CalWORKs Housing Support Program as Model to End Homelessness – February 26, 2015